Monday, August 13, 2007

First Day Jitters

The excitement and the jitters that come with starting the first day of school were the emotions that were at my house this weekend. As I compiled and completed the list of endless school supplies that were needed for both kids, and making sure their uniforms were in order for this morning.

I was so relieved to walk into the new school with a sense of peace. Hannah is fortunate enough to have five of her good friends in her homeroom class, Mrs. Thomas. Caden seems to have a great teacher, Mrs. Ritter. Giving Caden a kiss and a hug goodbye he said, "Mom I am really going to miss you, and I am really scared." After, reassuring him and wiping the tears from his eyes I walked away hoping he would make a new friend, and have a great first day. I then walked to Hannah's class to tell her Caden's room number, so she could know where to get him after school. I kissed her and told her I loved her, and her cute eyes filled to the brim with tears, and I knew that was my cue to exit. I then proceeded to cry in the breeze way hoping that my two children were going to be OK, and that my decision to change to this school was right.

I am so grateful for our tradition of giving father's blessing before school starts. I was really amazed at how it touched my children. Hannah and Caden had tears in their eyes when their Dad was finished with their blessing. I know that what was said comforted them today, when things weren't so familiar.
I also kept up my tradition of making Chocolate Chip Cookies for the first day of school. This is something my childhood neighbor used to do for all of the neighborhood kids.


Here is my new favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe


1 lb butter

4 Tbs vanilla

3 beaten eggs

2 Tbs baking soda

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar

6 cups flour

4 cups chocolate chips

Bake at 350 5-7 min



When I picked the kids up they both agreed that it was better than the other school. I know we will have our ups and downs, but at least the first day jitters are over.

10 Comments:

Blogger jenny said...

Cookies even with a migraine? You are the mom. I am glad it went much more smoothly than last time. Father's blessings are always the best :)

August 13, 2007 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger Lexi said...

I love making traditions and baking cookies to celebrate the first day of school sounds like a fun one. I'll have to store that idea away. It sounds like everyone made it through the first day okay- I'm so happy to hear it went well. Now go enjoy a nice refreshing diet coke- you deserve one!

August 14, 2007 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Lexi,
That is exactly what I did after dropping my kids off. Diet Coke makes everything better.

August 14, 2007 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Glad they had a good first day! Cookies are the best! I will have to try your recipe out. I am always looking for a good chocolate chip cookie recipe!

August 14, 2007 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

Starting a new school is always scary, I did it so many times growing up that I totally empathize with them. It sounds like they made it through okay, and who wouldn't love coming home to chocolate chip cookies? My mom always made those on the first day of school too.

August 14, 2007 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Hi Allison!

That Hannah has grown up a lot since I taught her 5 year old primary class. She's a doll.
Nate is starting K this year too and since he is my first, I have had jitters all summer long!! Glad to see your cute family and that you are all doing so well!
Tanya Christensen

August 14, 2007 at 4:26 PM  
Blogger Becky T said...

I'm glad to hear that things ended up going well. I have to say, I'm not really looking forward to the first day of school, because I know it could possibly tear my heart out. But I'm glad it all worked out well for your kiddos. And yes, Father's blessings are so wonderful!

August 14, 2007 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger camielle said...

Your kids look as cute as always...we miss you guys! I could definitely use some of your chocolate chip cookies. Yummy! You are such a great mom and I love the cute things you do for your kids.

August 15, 2007 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

Oh, that photo of Caden is heartbreaking! You can just tell that he doesn't want you to leave and that he is scared... I am so glad the first day went well. Changing schools is tough, but it sounds like they will get through it beautifully if they can already say after one day that it is better.

That recipe sounds huge! How many does it make? They look good.

August 18, 2007 at 6:56 AM  
Blogger Cary & Katrina Sanders said...

First day jitters are the worst! We had them at our house too! I'll have to try your cookies out on the boys!

August 21, 2007 at 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home