Monday, April 23, 2007

Gerber Daisies

A year ago three dear friends of mine traveled from San Antonio, Virginia, and Pennsylvania to meet me back in my home to see the wrath of what Katrina had done to our NOLA.

I was hesitant to be going home for the first time since I had evacuated from the storm that had changed the city that I had called home for the past 6 1/2 years. It had become home. I had delivered two babies at Tulane and Richard graduated from Medical School and started his Residency. It was a church on Academy drive that made every Sunday special even without Richard around on most Sundays. It is where friends are cherished. This is the place where we became a family.

As I prepared to meet my friends I was preparing myself to see my house for the first time in less than a year since the storm. I was expecting to see the flowers that we had planted prior to the storm be long gone and replaced by weeds. I remember driving from the airport to my home with butterflies in my stomach. I didn't know what I was going to see once I drove down my street. As I approached my house all I could see were some"resilient" pink Gerber daisies that my Hannah and her Grandfather had planted earlier that summer. They had survived the storm.

I was recently reminded by a friend that things in NOLA may still be off, but yet they may be just as beautiful as ever.

As NOLA is having it's rebirth my appreciation for the city is also having a rebirth. I now look at buildings that were damaged by the water not only as brick and mortar, but for the memories that lie within the walls. Tulane is not just a hospital that is rebuilding, it is where two of the greatest things in my life got their start.

I hope that I can always have a Gerber daisy in my garden to remind me of resilience and rebirth.

13 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

Beautiful post! I can only imagine how you must have felt driving back to your home for the first time. What a beautiful and welcoming site to see those gerber daisies!

April 24, 2007 at 7:44 AM  
Blogger Brittney said...

Aww... i miss NOLA!!!

April 24, 2007 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

Beautiful. So glad NOLA is seeing it's rebirth and you are there to witness it. Hope you continue to see gerber daisies wherever you go.

April 24, 2007 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I love gerber daisies, and I love what you had to say in this post. It is hard to believe all that has changed in NOLA since we left. I'm glad it is having a good rebirth.

April 24, 2007 at 11:37 AM  
Blogger jenny said...

I remember those gerber daisies! Great thoughts and post. I know it will take years and years to rebuild. NOLA will always hold a special place in my heart to.

April 24, 2007 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I love Gerber Daisies, I wish they would grow here. They're often in the bouquets at Costco, so that's how I usually get to enjoy them.

April 24, 2007 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Very touching, Allison. I still have not been back, we are so anxious to visit the place where we also became a family--newly married and two babes born. Hopefully it won't be too long, are you ready for a visit?!

April 24, 2007 at 8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOLA holds a special place in my heart for many of the same reasons-McKenna and Kyla. Gerbera daisies are some of my favorite flowers. I'm glad you have beautiful thoughts to ponder and appriciate each time you see your resiliant daisies!

April 24, 2007 at 10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EVERYONE should be so lucky to have Gerber Daisies in their yards! They are my favorite flower and I have pots of them by my front door!

New Orleans is beautiful and resilient, luck like the Gerbers.

Great post ... makes me miss "my" town.

April 25, 2007 at 7:35 AM  
Blogger Bridget said...

What a great way to look at things! I don't think I will ever look at a gerber daisy the same. Thanks for the beautiful thoughts!

April 25, 2007 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

this is a wonderful post. thank goodness for daisies!

April 26, 2007 at 7:51 AM  
Blogger Jennifer (mom of four) said...

what a nice post. I can't imagine being out of my house for that long. My parents are in Gulf Shores, AL . They were out of their condo for a while and in fact the pool just got finished last month after being destroyed from the hurricane. I enjoyed reading your 100 things. I had several things that I could put on my list whenever I get to it. I enjoyed reading your blog.

April 26, 2007 at 8:06 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

Beautiful thoughts, Allison. It's kind of cool that you get to see the rebuilding process, especially when you have such a good attitude about it! Great perspective.

May 7, 2007 at 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home