Saturday, February 17, 2007

A dollar, a parade, and pizza

What would you do with a dollar? Would you buy your favorite carbonated beverage at your stop of choice, a candy bar, something at the dollar spot at either Target or Michael's, or would you download a song off of i-tunes? My children chose to use the money that they received from their great grandparents for Valentine's Day to give them the freedom to wear normal clothes to school on Friday. Yes, they had to pay to wear jeans and a T-shirt instead of their normal school uniforms and they were very happy to do so. We were running out the door and so they wouldn't take their backpacks off.

Mardi Gras is in full swing with it being the weekend before Fat-Tuesday. Addie had her big Mardi Gras parade at school. Her teachers made the whole class Mardi Gras shirts to wear during the parade and they were in the traditional colors of purple, green, and gold. They were instructed to bring a bucket full of beads to throw. The children had a great time going around in the parade circle throwing beads and dancing to the music. They marched back to their classroom for a party and one last king cake. Addie was so excited because everyone got the baby in their king cake donuts.

Richard got home early from working in clinic so we decided to take advantage of him being home early. We took the kids to the Pizza Shoppe. This pizza place lets the kids make their own pizza. The pizza isn't the best, but my kids seem to have a great time making their pizzas and playing with extra pizza dough kind of like play-doh.
What a great day of wearing normal clothes, catching beads, making and eating pizza.


14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish we were there celebrating Mardi Gras with you all. The parades, the music, oh it all makes me happy! Enjoy the festivities. We have our beads out here in Missouri too and its time for a big batch of Jambalaya and Red Beans.
What a good use of a dollar. The sacrafice we'll make for fashion!

February 17, 2007 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

I miss Mardi Gras festivities...and I'm too lazy to make my own--plus, where am I going to find a kingcake in Phoenix?!

Looks like a fabulaous day.

February 17, 2007 at 9:05 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Who did they have to pay the $1 to?

If I only had $1, I would buy a taco from Taco Bell.

Your kids are adorable.

February 17, 2007 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger Shawna B. said...

The Pizza Shoppe! That brings back memories! Sounds like a fun day! I think the kdis made a good choice with the money thing. Those uniforms get old after a while, and hopefully good old Alice Birney put the money toward a good cause (I guess the good cause could actually just be the school!)

Happy Mardi Gras! We are going to do it up right here in VA- but oh, how I miss our days on St. Charles. WE will be celebrating Fat Tuesday for the rest of our lives! Such a fun, quirky holiday! Here's hoping you get lots of great throws!

February 18, 2007 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

That's kind of funny that they make the kids pay to not have to wear their uniforms.

Have fun celebrating Mardi Gras. I kind of miss that time of year. We've still got lots of beads around here, so the memories are always close at hand. :)

February 18, 2007 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

I hope you guys got to go to Endymion last night. That is my FAVORITE parade! How funny about the dollar. Umm I may have spent it at the drink stop at Sonic. Wish we were there with you to go to the parades. I will call you tomorrow! Have a great parade couple of days!!

February 18, 2007 at 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHHHH the memories! So happy for you that you can still be there to enjoy them. We miss it all so much!

February 18, 2007 at 10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the other gals - I miss this time of year in the Big Easy! Oh, what fun to live it up during Mardi Gras for a couple more seasons!

February 19, 2007 at 12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allison,
It was so fun to see you this past weekend in NOLA. Your family is beautiful! You must keep busy with your new calling too!

I wish we could have stayed for more parades and celebrated the big day - Mardi Gras, but back to resident life here in FL. What fun memories though! Enjoy Mardi Gras and the Bushmans!

February 19, 2007 at 1:20 AM  
Blogger donna said...

WOW mardie Gras . I never been. But it always looks so fun.
My children would love that pizza restaurant. Thy love PIZZA!!!!! I hope you have a great Monday!

February 19, 2007 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Sounds like you guys are having some good times!! Cafe du Monde...mmmmm. :) What a fun place for a field trip. I love the chocolate fondue...why haven't we done that yet? My hubby (and therefore kids) are chocoholics!! Sounds like a new tradition for next year. Hope you have a good week!!

February 19, 2007 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger Chanel Palmer said...

I would pay $1 a day for my kids to wear uniforms. They just look so cute, and hopefully they always match.

I love the idea of the King cake donuts where each one has a baby.

I wish I was there. I will keep checking back for Parade photos. I heard you had great seats in Metairie.

February 20, 2007 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

What a great day for your kids. Mardi Gras sounds like so much fun.

I think that that is an excellent use for a dollar-- freedom from conformity (I am actually a huge proponent of uniforms).

New Orleans sounds like so much fun

February 22, 2007 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

A Mardi Gras parade at school? So foreign to me. I bet the kids had a wonderful time -- king cake donuts are a genius idea.

March 2, 2007 at 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home