Thursday, February 8, 2007

100's day, King Cakes, and a recipe

Yesterday was the 100Th day of school for Caden's Kindergarten class, so I was asked to come and help them make their trail mix. The mix included raisins, marshmallows, gummy-bears, goldfish, teddy grahams, jelly beans, Cheerios, animal crackers, conversation hearts, and M&M's. They got to have ten of each item to make a hundred items to go into their mix. It was a fun way to teach the kids to count by tens.The teacher asked me if I have every Wednesday morning available to come and help out with the class, so from here on out I will be helping in Ms. Becks class instead of getting stuff done around the house. No, I actually enjoy spending time in my children's class. I like seeing how they interact with other children and there teacher.
Addie got the baby in the King Cake and as tradition goes she had to bring the next King Cake to school. She was so excited I think she even slept with the little plastic baby. Everyone has the opportunity to bring a King Cake before Mardi Gras. (I have to add I let my guard down and let Hannah do Addie's hair for school. It actually looked pretty good).

With valentines being just around the corner. I know this is probably your weekend for baking with your kids. I have a fabulous sugar cookie recipe that I would like to share with my fellow bloggers. I make it for all special occasions Christmas, Valentines, Easter, or anytime that I just need a good sugar cookie. Some of my fellow NOLA people may have tasted these a few times.

Sugar Cookies:

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/2 shortening

1 cup sour cream (don't use light or fat free)

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp soda

1 tsp salt

2 tsp baking powder

4 cups flour

Combine top five ingredients. Put dry ingredients on a plate and then add to wet mixture very slowly. Chill for a few hours. Roll out cookie dough using a little flour and powdered sugar. Bake at 375 for 8-10 min.

Frosting:

Half a bag of powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 stick melted butter

Milk use to desired thickness. Add a little bit at a time.

Enjoy!

15 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

How sweet of you to help in class every Wednesday. Does it wear you out like it does me? Take your vitamins, get lots of rest and wear something comfortable--that's my advice. Ha.

King Cakes at school eh? We don't have any of that going on here. Bummer.

February 8, 2007 at 2:51 PM  
Blogger Bridget said...

I will be making those cookies this weekend. Sour cream- Yum!

February 8, 2007 at 3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great "100 day" activity! I agree with Jill - helping in Kindergarten is fun and EXHAUSTING. But mostly FUN!!!

Oh, king cakes. Yum.

February 8, 2007 at 5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the King Cake! It's sad that I don't think my kids would even remember what that is. Thanks for the recipe. I think we'll give it a try this weekend. I've never had a treat from you that was less than delicious! A huge thanks for the recipes you put together. That was my very first "Good mail" and it was a very special surprise.

February 8, 2007 at 7:55 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

This 100 day thing is new to me...did they do that when I was in K? Anyway, thanks for the recipe!

February 8, 2007 at 7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I already have this recipe from years ago---Every time I see it in my cookbook I think of you! YUM!

February 8, 2007 at 8:24 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

Way to go Hannah! Addie's hair looked great. I have to laugh because my neice who is Taylor's age can totally do hair--umm Taylor needs help.

I told you are a good mom-- I have yet to volunteer (except for room parent in Taylor's class)

Thanks for the sugar cookie recipe. I cheated today and used my store bought ones. THey weren't too yummy. And the King Cake sounds extra yum another reason to miss NOLA.

February 8, 2007 at 8:43 PM  
Blogger Tasha said...

I just have to say that this recipe is the BEST sugar cookie ever!

I am trying to figure out if I can get Dave to let me order another King Cake!

February 8, 2007 at 10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so miss King Cakes! And what I would give for one of your sugar cookies right now. LOVE them!

February 9, 2007 at 2:21 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

That is so cool that you help out on Wednesday. I help-out at my older son’s class on Mondays. Yummy cookies recipe. I will be making them soon!

February 9, 2007 at 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allison,
We just had Julianna's 100 day celebration in Kindergarten a few weeks ago! (Jordan - I had never heard of it either until this year!) We did a similar activity with 10s of each item for a trail mix, making necklaces by counting to 10s by fruit loops, and 100 day sticker hats. My day to volunteer is Friday and yes, it is fun and lots of work! I am continually amazed by the energy of those 5 year olds!

We are still toying around the idea of coming to Mardi Gras next weekend. That king cake sure is tempting me... Oh cherish your New Orleans days!!! I certainly cherished my experience there.

February 9, 2007 at 3:30 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Ingrid,
Bushman's will also be in town for Mardi Gras. They pack up their house and be done with NOLA.

Jill,
Yes, those five year olds seem to have a lot of energy, but I enjoy it.

February 9, 2007 at 4:07 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

The sugar cookie recipe sounds delicious! I've always thought that the king cake idea was so fun. I had a VT companion from New Orleans and so one February we had a mini lesson on Mardi Gras and she brought our families King Cupcakes and beads so they could join in on the fun. It was great!

Thanks for the recipe book...my mom commented today that it came in the mail. I can't wait to look through it when I get back to the states!

February 9, 2007 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger everything pink! said...

do you remember the first time you brought these cookies to something, they were big circles in different colors, i went crazy.
i still have it written in my new orleans cookbook and have made them every year for my neighbors for valentines.
then when NY Julia the chef sent the same recipe it confirms to be the best ever.
we made them this past week and they are truly great.
i always think of you too when i make them

February 9, 2007 at 8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allison, I sent you an email, but it was returned. I was wondering if you could email me the Bushman's contact info in NOLA. Will you be attending the parades this Sat???

February 11, 2007 at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home